Paragon City Search & RescueForum Index
RegisterSearchLog in to check your private messagesProfileMemberlistUsergroupsLog inMembers AreaClick to view main website's navigation
Paragon City Search & Rescue » General Discussion
Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post Feb 10th 2011, 7:16 pm
Capt. Biohazard
Patroller

Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.

But the rumors of my computers death are true.

I'd been doing my best for days now trying to piece together a working system from parts from friends and family. Felt like Dr. Frankenstein at times.

I'd get it to 'Live' but then have another issue pop up.

Finally at the end of my rope I broke down and...

Bought a brand new computer!!!

The game runs better now than I've truly ever played it! I actually have to re-learn how to SJ because I'd gotten so used to the slow floating feeling from my sluggish rig.

Very Happy

Needless to say I'm looking forward to getting back in game and doing some teaming!

See you in Paragon once more!

Nuke
Post Feb 10th 2011, 7:44 pm
Sera
Rescuer

Yay! Welcome back and I'm jealous of your new computer! Very Happy

Post Feb 10th 2011, 10:44 pm
Ironblade
Rescuer

Re: Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Capt. Biohazard wrote:
Bought a brand new computer!!!

And?
And?
Let's hear the specs! Woot

City of Heroes: Ironblade - leader, Enclave of Honor . . . . . Lifeshadow - rescuer, PCSAR - Infinity
The Secret World: lifetime member - Mythmaster - Templar on Arcadia server (Ironblade on the TSW forums)
Star Citizen: independent crowd-funded game, currently in development. My global and forum handle are Ironblade.
City of Titans: independent crowd-funded 'spiritual successor' to City of Heroes.
Post Feb 11th 2011, 1:37 am
Capt. Biohazard
Patroller

Specs aren't something us non tech savy broke people can brag about. whistling

It's an off the Wally world shelf Dell Inspiron dual core 4gb ram and I can't recall the rest atm. I'll be looking at upgrading the graphics card sometime in the near future anyways.
Smile

Nuke
Post Feb 11th 2011, 6:43 pm
Psykid
Vanguard

Glad to hear you are back up and running.

Psy-Kid PCSAR Vanguard
Post Feb 12th 2011, 12:42 pm
Capt. Biohazard
Patroller

So I haven't had more than an hour here and there to get in game yet. With various real life things always trying to interrupt.

What little time I have been able to spend though has been... Shocking.

It's like playing an entirely new game! I had no idea how bad I had it on my old system. I mean, I'm a very patient person and I guess over time the constant lag and 10+ minutes at ever single load screen became the norm. I just didn't know any other way.
This also led to my burning out much faster than I should. As I found myself unable to team due to the fact that by the time I got to any mission door and made it past the load screen the mission was complete...

Don't get me started on how bad trying to use the markets was. Half the time I'd lock up if I got within 100 feet of WW. Once I made it in I knew it was either going to take 15 minutes to load the list... Or just crash and force a restart. Around Oct. it got so bad I just couldn't stand it anymore. I'd be playing City of Screenshots whenever a single other player was near me. I just got fed up.

Now. Wow. It's a whole new world again.

I can once again leap off a building and relax in the knowledge that Fly will actually activate before I hit the ground!

I can click a mission door and actually be in the mission before I have time to blink!

I can switch to an alt on the fly in less than 2 minutes!!!

I can use Teleport once more!!

Now I'm really looking forward to joining in some Rikti raids and the like, as before it was just a crash fest.

It's wonderful and to be expected.

What I wasn't expecting however, was the fact that I'd have to 're-learn' how to use certain powers. Things I'd gotten so used to having a certain feel to them no longer do.
Super Jump in particular. Before, SJ was a slow float through the air, with my characters position never changing, and the lag made it seem like I never touched the ground. I'd just slowly float up and down.

Now... Yeah, I've gotta get used to the way the power actually works.
All these years and I had no clue how blindingly fast SJ was supposed to be this whole time! Woot

We've got a rare thing here with CoX. A generational game. After 7 years we've developed certain niches in the game community. Those of us that have been around since the early days are the old timers, talking bout the good ol days and generally being grumpy when things don't go as we expect. Then you have the adults, those that have been around 3 or 4 years and still have new experiences awaiting them but enough knowledge to remember the good ol days. Then you have the young-uns.
The full of energy players that have been here less than a year and see the game with fresh eyes and no expectations.
When you have a generational game like this you start to get a divided community. This is what I'm seeing over on the official boards, as the grumpy old timers butt heads with the fresh faced newbs. It's a very interesting study in society.
What made me realize this is now a generational game is the fact that a couple that met playing on here during issue 1, fell in love and got married, they had a child who is now 6 and playing the game with them!

So for the past few months I've been feeling more and more like the grumpy old man screaming 'get off my lawn'
I still have trouble understanding IO sets and have never even seen a purple. The incarnate deal is so complex I don't think I'll ever 'get' it.
I was getting discouraged with the direction the company seems to be taking and just in general feeling very jaded. I was curious how much of this just came from my inability to actually enjoy playing.

I can say, it's like I've got a whole new lease on life. I no longer feel like the old codger who hobbles around the game and complains about how easy the younguns have it.

How analogous is it that the "Walked to school both ways in the snow" and
"In my day we had to hike across the Gulch 3 or more times just to reach a mission door, long before temp jet packs sonny" sound so similiar.

K, Im rambling cause I'm stuck at work when I'd rather be flying and fightin...

Nuke
Post Feb 12th 2011, 3:52 pm
Ravlin
Envoy

It was nice seeing you on last night! I know you'll be back in the swing of things really soon and if there's anything Andy (Ruhe) and I can do to help out to get you caught back up, just give a shout. We're usually around on weekends mainly these days because he's working during the week. Late nights on Saturday with Baney a lot of the time. And we're always game for anything - heroes, villains, or praetorians. So never be shy about hollering (that goes for anyone ya know!!!) I know you have me global friended or just yell in channel!

So glad you are back up and running and excited about playing again!!!

globally @Ravlin on Infinity

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post Feb 14th 2011, 6:54 am
Bane
Envoy

So awesome!

Paragon Wiki and Mids are the best way to get a hang on IOs and set bonuses. They really lay them out in front of you so you can best decide what you want to slot.l

The incarnate stuff can be confusing, but it boils down to, decide which Alpha Tree you want, then do the TFs needed to get the salvage to make the first/second/third tiers. You can also create them entirely by combing invention shards (thou this may take longer).

Im always logged in to skype, so feel free to message me there or give me a ring. The chat room we started way back when is still in use.

Here to help with all your snarky needs!
Post Feb 14th 2011, 10:47 am
Triage IV
Envoy

How do you decide which tree to do?

"Wait, I came down here in my underwear just to open a jar of mayonnaise?" - Barnacle Boy
Post Feb 14th 2011, 2:46 pm
Bane
Envoy

Triage IV wrote:
How do you decide which tree to do?

This page :http://goingrogue.na.cityofheroes.com/en/game-info/incarnates/alpha-slot.html

has all of the Alpha Slot Trees listed, with what each one dose at which tier. All you really have to do, is read what they give you and decide which best fits the needs or wants of your character. They Boil down in to Endurance Cost, Damage Boost, Accuracy Boost and Recharge Reduction. As you go up the tiers they do more and more things (Including a +1 level shift starting at the 3rd tier). So the easiest way is to figurer out which of those your toon needs most and go with that you. You can also craft all 4 if you really want to, and swap them out any time you like (with out having to do a respec).

Post Feb 14th 2011, 11:27 pm
Ironblade
Rescuer

Capt. Biohazard wrote:
So for the past few months I've been feeling more and more like the grumpy old man screaming 'get off my lawn'
I still have trouble understanding IO sets and have never even seen a purple. The incarnate deal is so complex I don't think I'll ever 'get' it.

Just ask, chief. If I'm on, you can see me on the PCSAR channel. I think I qualify as an expert on a lot of stuff in the game. As long as it's not villain stuff. I don't play villains very much.

If you want to join a Rikti Mothership raid, they get run every Sunday night at 8 PM EST. The zone usually is completely full by around 7:30 so people starting going to RWZ 2 and another raid gets run in that zone. That's right; we routinely fill the zone and get enough people to run another raid in the second copy of the zone.

Going forward, I expect to be running a lot of task forces for the Incarnate stuff. Each week, there is a 'Weekly Strike Target'. Completing the WST the first time for the week gets you:
- double XP mission bonus (if you can earn XP)
- double reward merits
- a Notice of the Well (needed for the 3rd and 4th tier Incarnate powers)

From last Tuesday to today, the WST was the Dr Kahn task force (and the Barracuda SF on redside). I ran the Dr Kahn TF 24 times in 7 days. That sounds like a lot, but you can speed it in about 30-35 minutes.

Starting tomorrow (Feb 15), the Weekly Strike Target is the Lady Grey TF.

City of Heroes: Ironblade - leader, Enclave of Honor . . . . . Lifeshadow - rescuer, PCSAR - Infinity
The Secret World: lifetime member - Mythmaster - Templar on Arcadia server (Ironblade on the TSW forums)
Star Citizen: independent crowd-funded game, currently in development. My global and forum handle are Ironblade.
City of Titans: independent crowd-funded 'spiritual successor' to City of Heroes.
Post Feb 14th 2011, 11:28 pm
Ironblade
Rescuer

Bane wrote:
This page http://goingrogue.na.cityofheroes.com/en/game-info/incarnates/alpha-slot.html

Let's make it a link, chief. Tongue
You had a leading colon on it.

Post Feb 15th 2011, 12:54 am
Bane
Envoy

Ironblade wrote:
Bane wrote:
This page http://goingrogue.na.cityofheroes.com/en/game-info/incarnates/alpha-slot.html

Let's make it a link, chief. Tongue
You had a leading colon on it.

Huh, I thought it was in link format when I posted it. Oh well!

Also, most of the snarky people call it the "WTF" for "Weekly Task Force" which makes me giggle, for Obvious reasons (and no Psy, I won't explain to you those reasons).

Post Feb 15th 2011, 4:59 pm
Psykid
Vanguard

Not sure what you think WTF means besides weekly task force, but I do know what WBF is... Wacky Bane Fun.

Psy-Kid PCSAR Vanguard
Post Feb 15th 2011, 5:03 pm
Bane
Envoy

Psykid wrote:
Not sure what you think WTF means besides weekly task force, but I do know what WBF is... Wacky Bane Fun.

WBF requires a membership card and a high tolerance for ... well I let you fill in the blank there.

Paragon City Search & Rescue » General Discussion
Page 1 of 2